    RE: iSCSI: not offering a key

    David:

    You say:

    > Only if the state machines are identical.  One simple mistake in setting
    > a default value, and the assumption that it doesn't need to be negotiated
    > leads to unpleasant surprises.  The right solution to this is in Eddy's
    > recent mail and my reply - there are no implicit offers -- if you care
    > about the value of a key, it's your responsibility to negotiate it.

    It seems to me that your interpretation is adding something new that
    is not in the standard and was never intended to be in the standard.
    That is that the value of keys that were not negotiated is "unknown"
    or uncertain.  On the contrary, the standard is quit explicit that
    all keys have default values, and if a key is not negotiated then it
    retains its default value on both sides of the connection, initiator
    and target.  If this were not the case, then we would be in the
    situation of essentially requiring the negotiation of every key,
    just to confirm the defaults, and this is clearly contrary to
    the whole idea of the negotiation process.

    Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

    Thanks,

    Bob Russell
    InterOperability Lab
    University of New Hampshire