    RE: iSCSI: Framing Steps

    Excerpt of message (sent 29 January 2002) by Somesh Gupta:
    > While I support a generic direct data placement model,
    > the following are additional points for consideration for
    > analysis of memory bandwidths and sizes.
    >
    > 1. A 10G link dropping packets will not do TCP at 10Gbps.
    > The rate drops as the packet loss increases. I don't recall
    > but Franco or Victor from Nortel had posted an equation once.

    A very old (40 years?) rule of thumb is that 1% loss costs you 50% in
    throughput.  I expect that it gets a lot worse as links get faster.
    > 3. The analysis of 10Gbps, half way round the world
    > was initially used in this debate. ALthough interesting, the person
    > with the scenario above is not going to blink at the cost of
    > 256MBytes of fastest memory considering what they are paying
    > for the link.

    Exactly.

    One reason ATM failed as a LAN is that its design was burdened with
    complexity based on that sort of scenario.  (In other words: "it has
    to work at umpteen Gig, across the globe, and only use a tiny little
    bit of memory because implementations can't handle a megabyte of
    buffers".)

    A design optimized for the combination of very high bit rate and very
    long latency will inevitably be way overpriced for the predominant
    case, which is the LAN case.

          paul

Last updated: Thu Jan 31 10:18:06 2002
8572 messages in chronological order