    RE: FCIP: Short Frame Security Solution Proposal

    My response below.

    David,

    That is why the nonce got the special treatment of this
    text (and related text in another section).  However, I
    do not believe the particular scenario is interesting,
    since anyone who has the combination of resources and
    unauthorized access necessary to do that evil scenario
    can do some dozens of other related scenarios at least
    as evil.  Some of them, especially those involving
    denial of service by flooding, can even be done on the first
    connection of a link.

    By providing the example, we may leave the mistaken
    impression that resolving the security issues of the
    particular scenario will successfully prevent all
    attacks.

    I think the straightforward warning that evil scenarios are
    possible in this particular environment should be
    sufficient to call security attention to that area.
    The simple solution (using IPSec) is offered to guarantee
    security for environments that can be secured using
    internet security functions.

    Of course there are lots of security problems outside
    the scope of IP, FCIP, and FC, but those are well understood,
    even though intractable.

    Bob

Last updated: Thu Jan 10 23:17:46 2002
8359 messages in chronological order