    RE: iSCSI: Markers

    I agree that there is no rigorous system level analysis
    to back this up (no disrespect intended but none has been
    shared). On the surface it seems it should help. (One
    area where it should help is in latency reduction).

    1. Assuming out of order segments happen due to
    packet loss (and yes routers have pretty much stopped
    reordering segments), it has an impact on the TCP
    send rate - you are really not going to go full speed
    anymore.

    2. The memory requirement is always round trip delay *
    bandwidth. It is not a product of number of connections
    & the window size on each connection. Pathological cases
    can require more memory, but then we have chose TCP because
    we can recover from lost (or dropped in this case) packets.

       It is the memory access speed required which is
    really the problem. At 1 Gig or even multi-1G, it is not
    an issue today.

    3. The processing of Upper Layer Protocol has to wait
    (at least theoretically) for the out of order segment to
    arrive. So when out of order segment arrives, we have a
    flood of protocol processing to take care of - previously
    received segments, and new segments that are arriving.

    Anyhow, it is an interesting concept and worth further
    exploration.

    Somesh

Last updated: Thu Jan 10 22:17:52 2002
8358 messages in chronological order