    RE: Questions about Multiple connections in a session

    >   I read the iSCSI draft 09, and I get a little bit confused about
    > multiple connections within a session.
    >
    >  (1) As my understanding, this means that during a session, there can be
    > serveral TCP connections co-existing at the same time. Is this right?

    Yes.

    > (2) But how do they get connected? At the initiator side, they use
    > different IP addresses, and at the target side, they share the same TCP
    > port and use different IP addresses? If this is right, it sounds weird
    > because usually storage devices on the network only have one IP address.

    Sharing the Target TCP port and IP address is allowed.  Different IP
    addresses
    and TCP ports are also allowed.

    > What's relationship between iSCSI TCP port and SCSI port?

    For iSCSI, the SCSI port is a software entity that binds all the
    TCP connections together into a single iSCSI session.  I suggest
    looking at the naming and discovery draft for a longer explanation.

    > (2) What's the motivation to support multiple connection within a
    > session? Just for performance and reliability?

    Yes.

    +1 (508) 435-1000            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Sat Dec 08 02:18:01 2001
8018 messages in chronological order