    iSCSI - structured values

    Hi,

    The following ideas came up in a discussion I had about iSCSI.

    The first issue is about the algorithm to use for allocating the
    structured ISID values, which contain three fields:

     - The Type field identifies the format:
               00h     - IEEE OUI
               01h     - IANA Enterprise Number (EN)
               02h     - "Random"
               03h-FFh - Reserved
     - The Naming Authority field identifies the vendor or organization
     - The Qualifier field is a 16 bit value that provides a range of
       possible values for the ISID within the Type and Naming Authority
       namespace.

    The "notes" in draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-name-disc-03.txt specify:

         (a) As noted, the structure of the ISID namespace provides each
         vendor with its own piece of the ISID namespace.  In effect, this
         provides for a vendor-partitioning of that namespace within each
         initiator.

    So, this puts the onus on a "vendor" to come up with the vendor's own
    scheme for allocating ISID values.  For the situation where a vendor
    wants to assign different values to different interfaces/HBAs, the
    simplest scheme would be to use a unique value which is shipped with
    each product, such as a MAC address.  This would be simple because it
    would obviate any need to coordinate between different interfaces
    (even those from the same vendor).  In fact, the first three bytes of
    a 6-byte MAC address are an IEEE OUI, which is exactly what type=0
    specifies, except that the MAC address has 3 more bytes, and the
    Qualifier field is only 2 bytes.  So, in order to allow vendors to
    adopt such a simple scheme, I'd like to propose that the Qualifier
    field be enlarged to at least 3 bytes.  It probably doesn't make much
    sense to make the overall ISID to be 7 bytes long.  So, how about
    making the Qualifier be 4 bytes so that the ISID is 8 bytes long ?
    As far as I'm aware the performance impact of this is virtually
    negligible, and so I can't really see any disadvantage in doing so.

    The second issue concerns Portal Group Tags.  It seems that despite
    the difference in terminology, that an ISID and a Portal Group Tag
    are corresponding concepts.  For example, a SCSI Port Name is defined
    as "the iSCSI Name + 'i' or 't' + ISID or Portal Group Tag".  However,
    a Portal Group Tag is defined as a 16-bit integer.  Now, I understand
    that an ISID was originally defined as a 16-bit integer, before its
    format was expanded (as discussed above).  So, with the correspondence
    of ISID and Portal Group Tag, surely it makes sense for a Portal Group
    Tag to have the same format as an ISID.  This will allow vendors of
    iSCSI targets with multiple interfaces/HBAs to use a simple scheme as
    and when they need to assign different Portal Group Tag values to the
    different interfaces/HBAs.  So, whether or not the ISID format is
    changed based on the first issue above, I propose that the same
    structured format be used for both ISIDs and Portal Group Tags.

    Keith.

Last updated: Fri Jan 25 15:17:58 2002
8485 messages in chronological order