    iSCSI-08 Comments 1 through 10

    Comment 1:

    Section 3.17 Page 101:

    "Reject is used to indicate an iSCSI error condition (protocol,
    unsupported option etc.)."

    - Please enhance the description of the Reject PDU. Please specify
    exactly what it is used for, when, and why. I realize that there is
    a forward reference on the following page, but feel that a more
    robust definition of the reject functionality also belongs here.

    Comment 2:

    Section 3.18 on Page 104:

    - Please add a definition of the I Bit. I assume it is the same meaning
    as the previous definition in other PDUs of I and Immediate. I feel
    these fields should be specified for each PDU.

    Comment 3:

    Section 3.19.1 on Page

    "3.19.1 Target Transfer Tag"

    "Whenever the NOP-In is not issued in response to a NOP-Out the StatSN
    field will contain as usual the next StatSN but StatSN for this
    connection is not advanced."

    - Why is the above text in a section titled "3.19.1 Target Transfer
    Tag"?
    - It almost appears the this text belongs in NOP-Out?
    - Please elaborate on the meaning and proper placement for this text.

    Comment 4:

    Section 5.1 on Page 112:

    "-Login Response with Login Accept as a final response (T bit
    set to 1 and the NSG in both command [and] response are set to
    FullFeaturePhase). The response includes the protocol version
    supported by the target and the session ID and may include
    iSCSI operational or security parameters (depending on the
    current stage)."

    Change "a' to "and".

    Comment 5:

    Section 5.2 on Page 115:

    "If security is established in the login phase then after the security
    negotiation is complete, each iSCSI PDU MUST include the appropriate
    digest field if any."

    "All PDUs sent after the security negotiation stage MUST be built
    using the agreed security."

    - The two sets of quoted text shown above are a bit redundant, or at
    least could be combined into a single paragraph. By the way I do realize
    there are two distinct phases here.

    - Could we be a little more specific in the second statement? Something
    like "MUST be composed of the fields or tuples specified by the agreed
    upon protocol specification".

    Comment 6:

    Section 5.2 on Page 115:

    "If the security negotiation fails at the target then the target MUST
    send the appropriate Login Response PDU. If the security negotiation
    fails at the initiator, the initiator [shall] drop the connection."

    - Do you really mean "shall"? Shall is IEEE terminology do you not mean
    "MUST"? This is a recurring problem in many places in the draft, for
    brevity I would suggest a text search and examination of each "shall".

    Comment 7:

    Section 5.3 on Page 115:
    "Session specific parameters can be specified only during the login
    phase begun by a login command [containing a null TSID] (e.g., the
    maximum number of connections that can be used for this session).
    Connection specific parameters, if any, can be specified during the
    login phase begun by any login command. Thus, a session is
    operational once it has at least one connection."

    - Do you not mean the first or leading login? If true please add this
    terminology.

    Comment 8:

    Section 6 on Page 116:

    "If the target responds to a text request with the F bit set to 1,
    with a text response with the F bit set to 0, the initiator [must] keep
    sending the text request (even empty) with the F bit set to 1 until
    it gets the text response with the F bit set to 1. Responding to a
    text request with the F bit set to 1 with an empty (no key=value
    pairs) is not an error but is discouraged."

    - "must" versus "MUST"! Do you not mean "MUST"? This is a recurring
    problem in many places in the draft, for brevity I would suggest a
    text search and examination of each "must'.

    Comment 9:

    Section 8.11 on Page 131:

    "Usage of within a connection and within a command recovery classes
    MUST NOT be attempted before the connection is in full feature phase."

    - I think there is a english problem here, or maybe dropped words.

    Comment 10:

    Section 8.11.4 on Page 134:
    "Session recovery implies closing of all [the] TCP connections, aborting
    at
    target all executing and queued tasks for the given initiator,
    terminating at initiator all [the] outstanding SCSI commands with an
    appropriate SCSI service response and restarting a session on a new
    connection set (TCP connection establishment and login on all new
    connections)."

    - Minor english suggest adding "the" in two places.

Last updated: Thu Oct 04 09:17:30 2001
7031 messages in chronological order