    RE: iscsi : Data ACKs already been included into draft (?)

    Michael,

    I went through a 1 and 2 tier counting scheme a year ago.
    The short answer is that a one tier has severe head of queue impact and a 2
    tier with a continuously running and a separate one for data (roughly what
    I think Santosh suggested a day or two ago) needs to carry 2 counters in
    many input PDU's and is very messy to handle with it recovery.

    If you want to do more about it write a draft.

                        Michael Schoberg
                        <michael_schober       To:     "IPS Reflector (E-mail)" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                        g@cnt.com>             cc:
                        Sent by:               Subject:     RE: iscsi : Data ACKs already been
                        owner-ips@ece.cm        included into draft (?)
                        u.edu

                        27-09-01 00:03
                        Please respond
                        to Michael
                        Schoberg

    Missed the reflector the first time so I'll try this one again...

    I'm still in favor for moving R2T and Data-IN into the StatSN realm (remove
    DataSN).  Looking at it, I wonder why there was this split to begin with.
    If the initiator is able to request retransmission of any/all T->I PDUs, it
    stands to reason that there should never be gaps in the Data-IN/R2T stream
    (unless the target is broken).  Separating Data-IN & R2T ACKs from the
    normal StatSN stream means requiring an equivalent protection mechanism be
    created.  Bottom line is that will add complexity to iSCSI.

    If Data-IN/R2T were moved in StatSN, there's still the problem of the
    requirement of optional support.  Lightweight systems may not be able to
    buffer much data to allow for long T->I message queues and the current
    draft
    lists SNACK support as optional (for this reason?)  To support this, we may
    need to have different flavors of R2T & Data-IN: one with StatSN and one
    without.

    I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been much discussion along this line.
    There seems to be two extremes being expressed (in-favor of a Data-ACK even
    if it involves writing new message engines -OR- in-favor or completely
    removing Data-ACK to avoid overhead).  It seems like optionally moving
    Data-IN/R2T into the StatSN queue would allow for both without adding much
    complexity to the code.