    Re: iscsi : OpParmreset

    Mallikarjun,

    From your answer it looks like you agree that we need a way to reset/abort
    a negotiation but you object to the OpParmReset.
     Abort task has the disadvantage that the target can't issue it (so that
    the target has no means to force an abort).
    An empty task request or response is ambiguous.
    We could introduce a binary field meaning goon/abort?  Is that better that
    OpParmReset (by which we can always introduce a richer semantics - like
    rest to default).

    Julo

                        "Mallikarjun
                        C."                  To:     ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                        <cbm@rose.hp.c       cc:
                        om>                  Subject:     Re: iscsi : OpParmreset
                        Sent by:
                        owner-ips@ece.
                        cmu.edu

                        27-09-01 03:26
                        Please respond
                        to cbm

    Julian,

    I assume you mean terminate/end a negotiation by "rest a
    negotiaion".  If so, I can see two more ways to do the same -
        - aborting the task (changes from rev06 to rev07),
        - sending an empty text command with TTT=0xffffffff.

    Either should undo the results of the partial negotiation
    in FFP, as we described in "Negotiation failures" section.
    During the login, as Matthew pointed out, we don't seem to
    need OpParmReset either.

    Can you please confirm if you see the same choices?  If so,
    I do not see the need for OpParmReset.

    Regards.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    MS 5668         Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,
    >                     (HP-UnitedKingdo        ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >                     m,ex2)"                cc:
    >                     <matthew_burbrid       Subject:     RE: iscsi :
    OpParmreset
    >                     ge@hp.com>
    >                     Sent by:
    >                     owner-ips@ece.cm
    >                     u.edu
    >

    >                     24-09-01 13:36
    >                     Please respond
    >                     "BURBRIDGE,MATTH
    >                     EW
    >                     (HP-UnitedKingdo
    >                     m,ex2)"
    >

    > Is OpParmReset still needed now that there is no operational parameter
    > negotiation until after the security phase?  Why would both sides
    > negoitiate
    > a set of parameters only for one side to reset.  Surely if one side
    during
    > login is not happy then it should close the connection.  In FFP, as there
    > is
    > no way to re-negotiate (after the OpParmReset) again if one side is not
    > happy then should it not close the connection and start a new one.
    >
    > Also if in FFP, if OpParmReset is sent then does it just reset those
    > parameters that can be negoiated during FFP and not those restricted to
    the
    > login phase?  If so would it be easier to negotiate those parameters
    using
    > the explicit name (e.g. InitialR2T) and remove the restriction of
    (example)
    > "Once set to no, it can not be set back to yes" - as this is what using
    > OpParmReset permits.
    >
    > Matthew

Last updated: Thu Sep 27 13:17:17 2001
6809 messages in chronological order