    Re: iscsi : OpParmreset

    Julian,

    > >From your answer it looks like you agree that we need a way to reset/abort
    > a negotiation

    Sure, I agree we need a mechanism.

    >but you object to the OpParmReset.

    Not specifically.  I was only concerned that there seem to be several
    ways of aborting/terminating a negotiation.  I can count three
    mechanisms
    for initiator -
           a) Abort Task
           b) Empty text command with TTT=0xffffffff
           c) OpParmReset

    And two for the target -
           a) Timing out the bookmark state, and Reject ("no bookmark for
              this ITT" - 0x09) the TTT.
           b) OpParmReset

    I suggest that we retain only the option-(a)'s for both, and
    drop the rest.  For this to happen, the case (b) for initiator
    should probably be a Reject("Illegal bookmark") - since as you
    say, it does seem ambiguous.

    Regards.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    MS 5668	Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > Mallikarjun,
    >
    > >From your answer it looks like you agree that we need a way to reset/abort
    > a negotiation but you object to the OpParmReset.
    >  Abort task has the disadvantage that the target can't issue it (so that
    > the target has no means to force an abort).
    > An empty task request or response is ambiguous.
    > We could introduce a binary field meaning goon/abort?  Is that better that
    > OpParmReset (by which we can always introduce a richer semantics - like
    > rest to default).
    >
    > Julo
    >

    >                     "Mallikarjun
    >                     C."                  To:     ips <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    >                     <cbm@rose.hp.c       cc:
    >                     om>                  Subject:     Re: iscsi : OpParmreset
    >                     Sent by:
    >                     owner-ips@ece.
    >                     cmu.edu
    >

    >                     27-09-01 03:26
    >                     Please respond
    >                     to cbm
    >

    > Julian,
    >
    > I assume you mean terminate/end a negotiation by "rest a
    > negotiaion".  If so, I can see two more ways to do the same -
    >     - aborting the task (changes from rev06 to rev07),
    >     - sending an empty text command with TTT=0xffffffff.
    >
    > Either should undo the results of the partial negotiation
    > in FFP, as we described in "Negotiation failures" section.
    > During the login, as Matthew pointed out, we don't seem to
    > need OpParmReset either.
    >
    > Can you please confirm if you see the same choices?  If so,
    > I do not see the need for OpParmReset.
    >
    > Regards.
    > --
    > Mallikarjun
    >
    > Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    > Networked Storage Architecture
    > Network Storage Solutions Organization
    > MS 5668         Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    > cbm@rose.hp.com
    >
    > Julian Satran wrote:
    > >
    > > OpParmReset is the only way we have now to rest a negotiation in FFP
    > > (public or vendor specific).
    > > The restriction about R2T is related to a deadlock that can result when
    > you
    > > change from no to yes.
    > >
    > > Julo
    > >

    > >                     "BURBRIDGE,MATTH
    > >                     EW                     To:     Julian
    > Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,
    > >                     (HP-UnitedKingdo        ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > >                     m,ex2)"                cc:
    > >                     <matthew_burbrid       Subject:     RE: iscsi :
    > OpParmreset
    > >                     ge@hp.com>
    > >                     Sent by:
    > >                     owner-ips@ece.cm
    > >                     u.edu
    > >

    > >                     24-09-01 13:36
    > >                     Please respond
    > >                     "BURBRIDGE,MATTH
    > >                     EW
    > >                     (HP-UnitedKingdo
    > >                     m,ex2)"
    > >

    > > Is OpParmReset still needed now that there is no operational parameter
    > > negotiation until after the security phase?  Why would both sides
> [...]

Last updated: Thu Sep 27 14:17:26 2001
6812 messages in chronological order