    Re: iscsi : default iscsi mode page settings.

    Julian and Santosh,

    Whether FirstBurstSize should be a text key or not,
    IMHO, is (mostly) dependent on the current implementations.
    Santosh rightly pointed out several drawbacks of
    mandating a new set of mode select/sense operations
    that are totally iSCSI-specific since the legacy SCSI
    stack (class drivers, services/midlayer) will have no
    clue about them.  OTOH, if most of today's SCSI stacks
    _do_ perform this mode parameter manipulation in disconnect-
    reconnect mode page, that would be a strong argument to
    leave FirstBurstSize as a mode page parameter.

    A somewhat larger issue is whether this should be a nexus
    parameter of a given I-T nexus (which login keys enable),
    or not (which a *typical* shared mode page would preclude).
    While I cannot identify an obvious advantage of using
    a different FirstBurstSize for each I-T nexus in a
    target, the fact that the login key enables either shared
    or per-nexus parameter in a given target implementation
    seems to tilt the balance in favor of a login key.

    Regards.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    MS 5668	Hewlett-Packard, Roseville.
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    Santosh Rao wrote:

    > Julian Satran wrote:
    >
    > > I can sympathize with you wanting to use most of the parameters in iSCSI -
    > > but the values are in fact restrictions that SCSI places on iSCSI.
    >
    > Julian,
    >
    > I'm confused by your response.
    >
    > The SPC-2 description of Disconnect-Reconnect mode page indicates that :
    > "The parameters appropriate to each protocol and their interpretation for that protocol may
    > be specified in the individual protocol documents".
    >
    > FYI, SPI[-4] has chosen not to attach any semantics to FirstBurstSize for the pSCSI
    > transport. Thus, iscsi is within its rights to declare this field as reserved and attach no
    > meaning to it in the mode page. The FirstBurstSize can be negotiated during iscsi login
    > through a login key.
    >
    > > Nevertheless the discussion is rather academic because SCSI can hand those
    > > parameters to iSCSI.
    >
    > Again, I'm confused by your response. The reasons I'm suggesting the use of a login key
    > instead of the mode page method are :
    >
    >    * More accurate scope (applies only to this I-T nexus).
    >
    >    * More optimal negotiation and reduced overhead in the establishment of the I-T nexus. (2
    >      less SCSI commands per I-T nexus establishment.).
    >
    >    * Enables faster I/O scan times due to lesser on-the-wire activity during I-T nexus
    >      establishment.
    >
    >    * Allows less room for error in the I-T nexus establishment (no possiblity of failure to
    >      establish I-T nexus due to mode sense/select command failure).
    >
    >    * Avoids mode select wars that can occur when target uses shared mode pages.
    >
    >    * Simpler initiator implementations since they can avoid embedding SCSI command set
    >      knowledge as well as code to build/parse SCSI commands. Also, they can avoid extra code
    >      that is required to snoop for CHECK CONDITION with (sense key=UA, ASC="mode parameters
    >      changed") in order to re-issue a mode sense to determine new values for FirstBurstSize.
    >
    >    * Less code to interact with SCSI ULP application client to co-ordinate the mode page
    >      values b/n the ULP & LLP.
    >
    >    * Can use un-solicited data from the very first scsi command in the session.
    >
    > I don't consider any of the above reasons to be academic and would like to know which ones
    > among the above do you believe are academic and why ?
    >
    > > SCSI can handle those parameters dynamically. iSCSI may have trouble
    > > handling this type of negotiation dynamically over several connections.
    >
    > This is exactly the kind of stuff we don't need and should actually be trying to avoid. What
    > good does dynamically changing FirstBurstSize serve ? Dynamically changing FirstBurstSize
    > would only be achieved with least side-effects if :
    > 1) The mode select implementation on target is not using shared mode pages.
    > 2) The initiator has quiesced I/O prior to issuing the mode select for the change.
    >
    > Neither of the above 2 conditions would typically apply and any dynamic change of
> [...]

Last updated: Thu Sep 27 12:17:25 2001
6802 messages in chronological order