    RE: iSCSI: ISIDs

    > If an interface/adapter is sharing Initiator Name with other
    > interfaces/adapters, iSCSI *REQUIRES* that there be a higher
    > level "session manager" (in the OS) to manage various things
    > like Task Tags, Sequence numbers, Exp StatSN, etc. And I don't
    > understand why ISID assignment can not be managed by the
    > same "session manager".

    That's not exactly true.  There are two sorts of coordination that
    can be necessary if an Initiator Name spans interfaces/adapters:

    (1) Task Tags, Sequence Numbers, ExpStatSN, etc. WHEN an individual
    	session spans interfaces/adapters.  The set of spannable
    	interfaces/adapters is called a "portal group".
    (2) ISID assignment to different sessions in the same or different
    	portal groups.

    > How is ISID assignment a unique problem
    > compared to the rest of various shared session level parameters ?

    Because ISID assignment is a separate problem.  One still has to
    coordinate ISID assignment across interfaces/adapters even if
    *every* session has exactly one connection and hence can't span
    interfaces/adapters.

    > If an interface has a unique Initiator Name, it can assign
    > an ISID of its own.

    Right, but if every interface is its own portal group underneath
    the same Initiator Name (i.e., sessions don't span interfaces,
    but the iSCSI Initiator does), ISID assignment still has to be
    coordinated across interfaces/adapters even though there's no
    "session manager" needed across interfaces/adapters.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 12:17:10 2001
6423 messages in chronological order