    Re: iSCSI: ISIDs

    If an interface/adapter is sharing Initiator Name with other
    interfaces/adapters, iSCSI *REQUIRES* that there be a higher
    level "session manager" (in the OS) to manage various things
    like Task Tags, Sequence numbers, Exp StatSN, etc. And I don't
    understand why ISID assignment can not be managed by the
    same "session manager". How is ISID assignment a unique problem
    compared to the rest of various shared session level parameters ?

    If an interface has a unique Initiator Name, it can assign
    an ISID of its own.

    -JP

    > Time to back up and regroup on this topic.  It's clear that ISID
    > management needs more attention, and hence there are some issues
    > more basic than the attempted consensus call to work out.  So,
    > I'm going to abandon the attempted consensus call, and try to
    > make progress on the underlying ISID issue.  Those whose posts
    > have called ISID management into question should not feel it
    > necessary to apologize - this is an important issue to unscramble.
    >
    > A rough summary of where we find ourselves is:
    > - iSCSI Initiator Names span network interfaces/adapters,
    > 	as do iSCSI Target Names.
    > - Multiple sessions are allowed between an iSCSI Initiator
    > 	and Target.  These are identified by an ISID and a
    > 	TSID.
    > - The ISID is the Initiator portion of the Session identifier
    > 	and is used to track certain resources associated with
    > 	the session (e.g., persistent reserves).
    > - The TSID is the Target portion of the Session identifier,
    > 	and serves primarily to make sure that all session
    > 	identifiers (SSID = ISID||TSID) are unique at the
    > 	Target.
    >
    > Michael Schoberg suggest getting rid of the ISID:
    >
    > > ISID - initiator-defined session-identifier
    > >
    > > Since initiators don't know about other initiators connected to this
    > target,
    > > this has the potential of causing problems.  Eliminate it.  The
    initiator
    > > should simply state it's intentions of establishing a new session or
    > adding
    > > a connection to an existing session (via binary flags).
    >
    > The implication of this would be to make SSID = TSID, dynamically
    > assigned by the Target (0 is a reserved value on Login asking Target
    > to do this assignment), and partitioned appropriately across interfaces.
    > Recoverable session resources would be associated with the combination
    > of <iSCSI Initiator Name, TSID> at the iSCSI Target, and the initiator
    > tracks via <iSCSI Target Name, TSID> - in both cases the TSID replaces
    > the ISID.  From a functional standpoint, this looks like it works,
    > and has the nice additional property that session resources can be
    > recovered through any iSCSI Initiator interface vs. having to go back
    > to the one that's allowed to use the ISID for that session if ISIDs
    > are statically partitioned.
    >
    > Does this cause any problems for the SAM-2 to iSCSI mapping?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 11:17:10 2001
6415 messages in chronological order