    RE: new iSCSI PDU outline

    Julian,

    Should there be software implementations that must deal with iSCSI on a
    real-time basis, splitting the headers as I described helps in allowing the
    transport to respond immediately in providing the transport related
    feed-back.  The split header and simple XOR calculation was to make this
    possible with software implementations where these settings are made
    nano-seconds before being sent.  To require a CRC to be done could introduce
    many micro-seconds into the operation and thus make the transport less
    current on its feed-back as this must be pipelined.  You have a few other
    fields not defined and perhaps use those fields to expand the later content.
    I doubt there will be more than a handful of types but if you use 16 bits,
    there should never be a danger of running out of options.  In addition, I
    would suggest retry flags be placed in this header for the same reasons of
    simplifying the transport.  Once the SCSI structure is created, it becomes
    independent of the transport functions so that fiddling at the transport
    will not spoil this content.  By keeping these values to but a few fields
    unrelated to the payload, a simple check should be all that is needed.

    Doug