    RE: iFCP fabric attachments

    Venkat,

    > Robert,
    >
    > I think when we combine the FCIP proposal and iFCP proposal,
    > you would get
    > what you are asking for. That would provide connectivity
    > between FC switches
    > using the FC B_Port functionality and IP FCP Portal connectivity. The
    > integrated proposal needs to work on things such as Principal Switch
    > selection, DomainId distribution among the FC switch across
    > islands etc.
    > This is a combination of Fabric Controller and Name Server
    > functionality of
    > FC-SW-2 and FC-GS-3 proposals. One thing I am curious about
    > is the FC Name
    > Server Object's IP address field, carrying the mapping of DAP
    > to IP address.

    I'm afraid the prospects of merging iFCP and FCIP are not that
    simple.  Saying they belong in the same document because SOME of the
    problems that they address are similar, is like saying that NAT and
    GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation) belong in the same RFC because
    they can both be used to connect private networks to and through the
    Public Internet.  What you will end up with is a single document that
    is twice as long, and describe two totally dissimilar techniques.

    The comparison between iFCP and FCIP is in fact quite similar to
    the comparison between NAT and GRE (or any other tunneling protocol).
    iFCP is quite similar to NAT (maps FC addresses to IP addresses) while
    FCIP is similar to GRE (tunnels frames unchanged between two separate
    networks).  And my reaction to being asked to merge iFCP and FCIP is
    the same as if someone asked me to create one protocol that does both
    NAT and tunneling.  How and why would do you do that???

    > One other area that is needs attention is support for FC
    > Arbitrated Loops -
    > they exist in significant numbers, especially at the target side.

    The N_PORT object described in the iFCP document is a generic term
    that can also be used to refer to NL_PORTs.  iFCP incorporates support
    for Arbitrated Loops.

    Josh