    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Robert B. Harmon
    Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 10:46 AM
    To: cmonia@NishanSystems.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: iFCP fabric attachments

    I think this is a very interesting proposal, storage gateways are
    possible
    at several different levels, great work.

     Section 3.3 says:
        The gateway builds the store of N_PORT network addresses for
        external devices in the IP fabric by:

        a) Intercepting name service requests issued by directly-attached
           N_PORTs and redirecting them to the iSNS name server or,

        b) Intercepting incoming N_PORT login requests from external Fibre
           Channel devices.

    Could you explain how this would work in the presence of existing
    Fibre Channel SNS and master switch?

    I noticed on your comparison of FCIP and iFCP that the SAN islands
    contain no Switches or Hubs, N_PORTS are connected directly to iFCP
    devices. Is is possible under to have iFCP gateways and FC switches?