    From: Joshua Tseng [mailto:jtseng@NishanSystems.com]
    Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 8:55 AM
    To: Venkat Rangan; Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iFCP - FCIP merge proposal

    Venkat,

    <stuff deleted...>

    > But as far as I can tell, iFCP requires you to remove devices
    > that support
    > E_Port, B_Port and FC-AL functionality and replace them with iFCP plus
    > OSPF/BGP/RIP implementaions, which is quite a drastic step
    > for a deployed
    > SAN to take on. Merging the two would appear to provide both
    > capabilities.

    iFCP does not require you to remove anything.  There are implementation
    techniques to connect E_PORTS, Loop ports, and whatever ports you have
    in FC to the iFCP transport.  Merging the two will provide you nothing
    but a very complicated, confusing document describing two dissimilar
    techniques.

    Regards,

    Josh

    http://explorer.msn.com