    Re: iFCP - FCIP merge proposal

    I have to agree with what Joshua said in the "iFCP fabric attachments"
    thread; it doesn't make sense to merge iFCP and FCIP.

    FCIP is used to solve the problem of connecting 2 Fibre Channel SANs
    via IP; it's a tunneling protocol.  As such, it is very simple; the amount
    of
    processing on any Fibre Channel frame is minimal.  It doesn't read or modify

    any of the FC-2 header, add augmentation information or manipulate any
    Extended Link Service frames, and allows all FC-2 functionality.

    iFCP is a gateway protocol.  It cracks the FC-2 header, handles some Fibre
    Channel Extended Link Service frames in a special manner, and there is a
    possibility that it won't support all FC-2 functionality.

    Merging the FCIP and iFCP documents would make a single document in name
    only.  FCIP doesn't need to use any of the functionality described in the
    current
    iFCP document.

                                                            Ken

    --