    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Merhar, Milan
    Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 10:11 AM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: FCIP: A question about framing

    I was pleased to see the new draft for FC over IP
    ( draft-ietf-ips-fcovertcpip-00.txt ) but something
    in it left me a bit puzzled.

    The encapsulation that is described envelops the
    entire FC frame, including its SOF and EOF delimiters,
    and then transports it over TCP.  The draft correctly
    points out that in FC the SOF and EOF sequences
    are encoded at the 8b10b level starting with a "comma"
    character, which is a reserved 10-bit code, which does not
    correspond to any 8 bit value.  But, it then says
    that SOF and EOF are encoded in TCP as 4 byte sequences.

    This is where I get confused.  Don't you then have to
    prohibit the appearance of the SOF and EOF sequences
    (which are now just a set of four regular bytes)
    in the normal payload stream, using a processing-intensive
    technique like escape sequence insertion, etc?

    The only other alternative that comes to mind is to use
    the presence of a valid CRC as a gate to on accepting an EOF
    sequence.  And that, I believe, is patented technology.

    - milan