    RE: iSCSI virtualization

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: RE: iSCSI virtualization
    • From: Yaron Klein <klein@eng.tau.ac.il>
    • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:10:13 +0200
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Jim and John:

    The matter is iSCSI and iSCSI only. The title should be:

    Encapsulation of piggyback (SCSI) commands in the iSCSI protocol.

    And the virtualization is just one example of the benefits of this
    encapsulation option. Many other examples can be found (as Julian
    mentioned and more: smart proxies, virtual caches, smart mirroring etc).
    My main request from the WG is to add the option: “iSCSI reflection” in
    the iSCSI status (note again: iSCSI matter) in the status message.

    Charles:

    It looks as there are some applications that will require the status to
    be sent first to the manager (i.e., not to the initiator) or to both the
    initiator and the manager. I guess there are to ways to set it:

    1. In the negotiation phase, set it permanently, or
    2. In the iSCSI command, add another bit to determine to who the status
    should be sent (initiator, manager or both).

    But first you should help me to convince the group to insert the
    piggyback option to the protocol and than we will battle for the status
    issue.

    Regards,

    Yaron Klein
    SANRAD