    RE: iSCSI gateways, proxies, etc.

    Charles,
     Comments in <JIM> </JIM> and other stuff snuffed out.

    Jim Hafner

    Charles Monia <cmonia@NishanSystems.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 10-12-2000 03:02:19
    PM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    cc:
    Subject:  RE: iSCSI gateways, proxies, etc.

    Hi Jim:

    > Charles,
    >
    > In some sense I agree with you.  But I'd turn it around. In
    > your scenario,
    > it is MY OBLIGATION to give to A an identifier for B that is
    > consistent
    > with A's view of the world. I shouldn't be so myopic to
    > think that A's
    > equals mine.   How I might discover A's view of the world is
    > implementation
    > dependent.  In fact, one might argue that if I don't know A's
    > view of B,
    > then I have no right to ask A to do something with the data on B!

    I think that's unworkable in practice. More to the point,

    First, 'A' should not advertise to the initiator a capability that it can't
    support.
    More importantly, I think that approach is unworkable in practice when the
    labyrinth of tunnels, firewalls and the like is considered. I believe, when
    the dust settles, we will have to assume the presence of some sort of
    storage name server that mediates these kinds of addressability problems.

    <JIM>
    This storage name server is an implementation of something that enables
    what I'm talking about in a somewhat transparent way.  Namely, if the
    initiator knows about the presense of this server AND that A uses it, then
    it can use the hooks of that server to provide A enough information for A
    to find B.  In other words, this server is the way the initiator "discovers
    A's view of the world".   I certainly won't argue that this is not a bad
    way to go, I only argue that this is one implementation.  The requirement
    for I to give A an identifier for B that is in A's view is still there.
    There server just makes the world appear transparently to be global, in a
    manner that is analogous to DNS.
    </JIM>

    > In your second paragraph, you suggest WWN.  I have to ask
    > "whose WWN?"

    I meant the SCSI device wwn.
    <JIM>
    Do SCSI devices have WWNs or just Logical Units?  I guess I didn't know
    that.  Can you point to the T10 spec (or draft) that has that?  Thanks.
    </JIM>

    ...Frankly, I haven't thought this through in detail, but I
    suspect we may have to have ask T10 for some way for an initiator to
    dynamically assign a LUN to a specific LU WWN. ...
    <JIM>
    Who does the initiator ask the question of "can I have a LUN for this LU
    WWN?".  If its the target of that logical unit, then that initiator already
    has LUN for that WWN implicit in the combination of REPORT LUNS and INQUIRY
    (EVPD), assuming it has access to that logical unit (if it doesn't then the
    answer to the above question should be NO).   If it's not the target of
    that logical unit, then it must be some server or service (not a SCSI
    thing).  In that case, it only needs to again ask for the target address
    and it can then find the LU as above.  It can't ask the server for target
    address AND LUN because the LUN association to logical unit (and initiator)
    is owned by the target.

    One might propose to T10 a twist on this that I don't think would cause too
    much stir: a command that an initiator can ask the question "which of my
    LUNs is mapped to the logical unit with LU WWN?".  [Or is this what you
    meant in the first place.].  The semantic difference between the question
    you phrased and this, is that I'm not asking for the target to create a LUN
    for me, just assist me in finding it quickly.  [Is this a bi-directional
    command?].  Or we could make it even simpler and have REPORT LUNS AND
    IDENTIFIERS command which allows the initiator to get both the LUN set and
    the identifiers in one command sequence.

    The access controls has a "can I have a LUN for this Proxy Token?" to
    enable a similer function, but the notion here is that the Proxy Token is
    the explicit permission token to get the access right and have a LUN
    generated by the target.  That is, prior to seeing the token, the target
    will not have a LUN for that LU in the initiator's REPORT LUNS list.
    </JIM>

    As noted above, I'm assuming any WWN that can be converted by the name
    server to a network address for accessing the device.  As you've noted, the
    real issue is what such a WWN stands for. In my view, the most intuitive
    definition is that the WWN represents the iSCSI device abstraction as it
    appears to other iSCSI devices on the network.  As you note above, such a
    definition is particularly convenient for an iSCSI-to-fc gateway, since fc
    devices already have such identifiers.
    <JIM>
    IMHO, we don't have such an identifier defined for the iSCSI device
    abstraction.  The nearest thing seems to be ipname:port or ipaddress:port.
    If that's not sufficient (and many think so), then we need something more.
    The key here is that if we define such a thing, it MUST be WW unique, and
    the namespace probably has to be managed by some entity (IEEE, or IETF) to
    guarantee uniqueness.
    </JIM>

    In that sense, the issue of parallel SCSI compatibility is a bit of a red
    herring. This is simply another issue, among many, that an iSCSI gateway
    would have to address if it chose to present the device to the network as
    an
    iSCSI target. In this case, it would be the gateways job, acting as a proxy
    for the parallel SCSI device, to generate some sort of acceptable WWN.
    <JIM>
    Agreed.
    </JIM>

    Charles