    RE: Command Queue Depth (was asymmetric/Symmetric)

    Peter,

    In SBP-2 the target initiates things like getting commands and data from the
    host (where they are stored).  So the target does a number of things with
    respect to the initiator to discover if command/data exist for it and then
    get the command/data for processing.  Then the initiator (at target request)
    has to send this information to the target.

    In the extreme the target would only has to accept out of the blue an alert
    message (just a bit of information) from each initiator, telling it that the
    initiator has something for it (the alternative is target polling of all the
    initiators, not attractive in this environment).  The problem now is that
    you have to generate target to initiator traffic (with its own latency)
    before you even get to knowing the commands and data in the initiator space.

    Afterall, the desire to send out of the blue commands and data is there for
    two reasons:
         it allows the target to start working as fast as possible,
         it minimizes bus traffic by minimizing request/response transactions.

    You could say that a target initiated request for command/data information
    could occur just before the target became free (or at least target resources
    became free) from previous operations, allowing the target to always keep
    itself fed with tasks, but not overfed.  That might work, although the
    timing is difficult due to the variance in the response times.

    But it would not address any bus utilization issues (and indeed, probably
    make them worse).  It also adds some initial latency in lightly loaded
    systems since the simple initiator sending a command to a target is replaced
    by sending an alert and then having the target get a command.

    So yes, I think the SBP-2 style of target initiated actions might make some
    sense in heavily loaded systems, which a more traditional approach is
    appropriate for lightly loaded situations.  The trick is having the
    distributed targets and initiators figuring out when to use each one
    (difficult) or focusing on one (as we have traditionally) and basically
    optimizing latency for light or heavy loads, but not both.

    Jim