    Re: Command Queue Depth (was asymmetric/Symmetric)

    > > So it sounds to me like this distribution of (command)
    > > resources across initiators is a T10 SCSI issue, and should be
    > > solved there, not by each individual transport (yesterday FC -
    > > which didn't solve it, today iSCSI, tomorrow IB or whatever).
    > [...]
    > One thing I got from Jim's note is that SCSI storage devices designs are
    > carefully tuned. So, behaviors at the transport layer do make a difference
    > -- especially to cost-driven products.  In my opinion, the IPS community
    > would be well advised not to ignore these concerns.

    It seems like poor standards practice to work-around attached
    standards that are under active development.

    iSCSI should engineer to the level that it does not make the problem
    of handling oversubscription WORSE than on other LLPs (and can benefit
    from an ultimate ULP solution), but the real fix does belong in the
    SCSI layer, since it's responsible for the architecture of initiators
    and targets.

    It would be different if this problem were not even on the radar
    screen of T10, but the annecdotes about FC RAID boxes that can't do
    ANY useful work because they're too busy BUSYing incoming FC commands
    are already out there.  If they aren't moving quickly enough, is the
    task of interested parties to drive the T10 process along.

    Render unto Caeser and all that.

    Steph

    [So which is Caeser?]