    RE: Command Queue Depth (was asymmetric/Symmetric)

    At 08:38 PM 9/10/00, Jim McGrath wrote:

    >So yes, I think the SBP-2 style of target initiated actions might make
    >some sense in heavily loaded systems, which a more traditional approach is
    >appropriate for lightly loaded situations.  The trick is having the
    >distributed targets and initiators figuring out when to use each one
    >(difficult) or focusing on one (as we have traditionally) and basically
    >optimizing latency for light or heavy loads, but not both.

    Jim, I agree with what you've said (except to correct a small nit,
    responded to out of order below so as not to distract from the main topic)
    and think it's especially interesting in the light of the SBP-2 study group
    convening at T10 this week in Huntington Beach.

    When the working group first developed SBP-2 we were pleased with our
    efforts in one particular aspect: the protocol became more efficient the
    more heavily it was loaded with commands.

    Now that we have two years experience, there is a better understanding that
    it is worthwhile to have a special optimization to reduce startup latency
    when a target is idle, with no commands to process. In the case of SBP-2
    this seems to be simple to do; I look forward to your comments if your able
    to be there on Friday.

    >In the extreme the target would only has to accept out of the blue an
    >alert message (just a bit of information) from each initiator, telling it
    >that the initiator has something for it ...

    This is exactly what SBP-2 does with the DOORBELL register (that signals
    the target that new work awaits in the initiator).

    Regards,

    Peter Johansson

    Congruent Software, Inc.
    98 Colorado Avenue