    RE: multiple TCP connections

    Steve,

    The problem with relying on Layer 2 link aggregation
    such as 802.1ad, is that it protects against packet reordering
    by keeping all traffic between a given source/destination
    pair on a single pipe of the multi-link.  So, unless you
    have multiple attachments at each end (with multiple MAC
    address and multiple IP addresses,) you're limited to a
    maximum of (in the case of TCP/IP and Gigabit Ethernet)
    around 920 Mbps of aggregate traffic between two end points.

    And, although 900+ Mbps seems to be plenty of bandwidth for
    any single storage device, concerns have been raised that
    it may not be sufficient for the case, for example, of a
    storage array controller talking to a mainframe.

    This, in fact, had been presented as one rationale for
    spawning multiple TCP sessions within a single iSCSI session.
    Each TCP could potentially have separate IP and MAC end point
    addresses, allowing them to be carried in parallel through
    802.1ad inter-switch links.  (Although, I agree with you that
    being able to take advantage of multiple protocol accelerators
    is in itself a pretty good justification.)

    On the other hand, It may be a close race between introduction
    of Storage-over-IP devices that can take advantage of multiple
    parallel Gigabit Ethernet links, and initial availablity of
    10 Gigabit Ethernet LANs.  We might find ourselves having
    designed a clever, but more complex, way of accessing
    greater bandwidth, which is superceded by the brute-force
    solution of faster transport technology.

    - milan