    Several Questions.

    Hi, all. I am a graduate student who is very interested in
    iSCSI. Although I feel very difficult, I am trying to follow up the
    articles in this mailing list.

    Reading the articles in this mailing list nowadays, I cannot fully
    understand every new issue.

    By the way, with my amateur's eyes, some very basic questions have
    made me write this article.

    The first question is about the SCSI protocol itself. iSCSI is just a
    mapping the SCSI protocol to TCP. But looking in details, I think that
    it is just the mapping of CDB. After removing the unnecessary parts of
    SCSI protocol due to the change of underlying physical media from bus
    to network, I think just CDBs remain, eventually. Then how can we map
    the operation sequence of SCSI protocol to that of iSCSI ? I wonder
    whether we can call this just mapping of CDB to SCSI protocol.
    I think CDB is not the everything of SCSI.

    The second question is the distinct differences between NFS and
    iSCSI. According to "draft-von-ipsissues-01.txt" file, there are the
    following paragraph.

    4.2.4 NFS
    "NFS is the current solution for accessing storage over the
    network. Its strengths are ease-of-use, file sharing, and
    security. The general assumption is that a block storage protocol
    should outperform NFS in some applications, but that assumption needs
    to be tested. Also, some applications (e.g. tape library) could
    benefit from a block storage protocol.  In order for a block-based
    solution to be accepted, clear benefits over NFS (e.g. performance,
    direct access) must be proven, Even then, NFS would still be the
    solution of choice for those requiring ease-of-use and file sharing."

    6. Conclusion

       - Any block storage protocol must show clear differentiation from
    NFS.

    I want to hear many opinions about the distinct differences between
    the file protocol such as NFS and iSCSI.

    Thanks in advance.