    Re: multiple TCP connections

    Julo wrote:

    >There is no standard way of doing link agregation. That's the main reason
    >for having
    >the session (+reliability).

    Being ignorant of networking practices, it seems to me that link aggregation
    is more appropriately solved as a routing problem than as part of the
    application protocol. IP supports multiple links per end-point. If an
    end-point has two links, then it must have at least two routes to it. From
    there it's just a question of getting the routing to load-balance between
    the routes.

    What am I missing? Is it that the currently-available TCP/IP implementations
    and routers don't do load-balancing on links, due to  problems introduced by
    out-of-order arrival?

    I also don't understand the point about reliability. A multi-homed host
    already has hardware redundancy, and even if today's commercially-available
    routers and TCP/IP stacks don't do load balancing they surely understand how
    to use a different route in the event of link failure.

    Is the claim of reliability based on just having multiple links, or is it
    based on using the command reference numbers to recover a failed TCP
    session?

    Is there work going on elsewhere in the IETF with respect to link
    aggregation?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    -Steve