    RE: iSCSI: using the C bit

    Ahh, thanks ... I missed that.

    Eddy
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Carlos Rimola [mailto:crimola@silverbacksystems.com]
    Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 8:36 PM
    To: Eddy Quicksall; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: using the C bit

    At 06:24 PM 1/16/2003 -0500, Eddy Quicksall wrote:
    I want to be sure I understand the use of the C bit in a login. It seems to
    me that the initiator could split a key into two parts: 1st part at the end
    of request A and 2nd part at the beginning of request A+1.

    e.g., the end of request A (with C bit set) could be "Immediate" and the
    beginning of request A+1 could be "Data=yes" (the full key=value pair being
    "ImmediateData=yes").

    If this is done, the target will not process the partial key and may send
    his own key saying "ImmediateData=no". But, the initiator has already
    constructed the negotiation and request A+1 would violate the protocol
    because ImmediateData has already been negotiated.

    Comments?

    Eddy

    Eddy,

    This scenario - the target sending his own key while the Initiator is still sending partial chunks (by setting C Bit = 1) would be a violation of the rule specified in 5.2 (Text Mode Negotiation) which applies during Login as well as Text Req/Resp:

    A target receiving a Text or Login Request with the C bit set to 1
    MUST answer with a Text or Login Response with no data segment
    (DataSegmentLength 0). An initiator receiving a Text or Login
    Response with the C bit set to 1 MUST answer with a Text or Login
    Request with no data segment (DataSegmentLength 0).

    The target can begin sending its own keys only when a PDU with the C Bit set to 0 arrives.  At this point, all keys will be complete and the above condition is avoided.

    Regards,

    Carlos Rimola
    Silverback Systems

Last updated: Fri Jan 17 06:19:01 2003