    iSCSI consensus calls

    Cleaning up some issues to prepare for WG Last Call ...

    On July 24th, I posted the proposed resolution of issues
    discussed in Yokohama to the list.  Having seen no
    further list discussion, I believe the rough consensus of
    the IPS WG is to follow the sense of the discussion
    in Yokohama, specifically:

    (1) No support for long-lived discovery sessions.
    (2) Decimal encoding only for binary items whose
    	values always fit in 64 bits.
    (3) Must accept at least 8k of text in negotiation.
    (4) No ErrorRecoveryLevel 0.5.  MAY try ERL 1
    	mechanisms after negotiating ERL 0, but MUST
    	be prepared for them to fail.
    (5) Remove BidiInitialR2T key.
    (6) Data resegmentation only via a new R-Data
    	SNACK that always sends a new SCSI Response.
    	SNACK tag associates new response with SNACK.

    On the other hand, since the use of Irrelevant has
    caused interoperability problems at the plugfest, I don't
    think the "just put in examples" direction from Yokohama
    will suffice - I believe this issue to be open.

    On SRP, based on the proof of primality of the SRP primes
    and subsequent discussion, I believe the rough consensus of
    the IPS WG is:
    	- Negotiate SRP_GROUP instead of announcing the prime
    		and generator.
    	- The largest required group is 1536 bits.
    	- The SRP groups/primes will be used up to 2048 bits, the
    		IKE MODP groups/primes will be used for larger sizes.
    For the latter, computational efficiency issues have been raised
    for both the SRP groups (prime format) and the IKE MODP groups
    (generator != 2 for SRP).  I believe this situation does not
    provide a solid reason to change from the default of using the
    groups that are commonly used with SRP.  Paul Koning's objection
    to the rough consensus on this item is noted.

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Sat Aug 03 02:18:53 2002
11526 messages in chronological order