    Re: iSCSI: DLB's [T.6] 2.3 iSCSI Session Types

    I also believe that those extended discovery functions belong in SLP and
    iSNS, not in extending the Discovery Session.  The Discovery Session was
    intended for the simple lower end iSCSI network, that did not have SLP or
    iSNS.  And in that end of the market there is no reason to have long lived
    Discovery sessions.  Also this will cause vendors to invent ways to work
    with the base discovery session, that were unintended and thus cause
    additional problems, and not focus on getting interoperable support for SLP
    and iSNS.

    Each of our approaches, "discovery sessions", SLP, and iSNS, generally
    cover different network markets, and this segmentation is rather easy to
    explain.  I would prefer to continue this focus, or we will confuse the
    market and ourselves and never be interoperable.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Prasenjit Sarkar/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS@ece.cmu.edu on 07/11/2002 08:15:38 AM

    Sent by:    owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu