    Re: iSCSI: NOPs on discovery session

    If a client wants to receive async messages when new iSCSI targets
    become available, or wants to poll once in a while with SentTargets,
    it is better to keep the discovery session there.  This is useful
    in cases where iSCSI gateways are connected through firewalls; only
    the iSCSI protocol needs to be allowed through the firewall to do
    this type of discovery.

    --
    Mark

    John Hufferd wrote:

    > I do not see any reason to keep the decovery session up.  Why would it be
    > needed to stay up?
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > John L. Hufferd
    > Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    > IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    > Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    > Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    > Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com
    >
    > "Ayman Ghanem" <aghanem@cisco.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 12/05/2001 09:37:34 PM
    >
    > Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >
    > To:   <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    > cc:
    > Subject:  RE: iSCSI: NOPs on discovery session
    >
    > Julian,
    >
    > I would vote for  allowing it. Is the spec going to require the initiator
    > to logout immediately  after the SendTargets response is received?. Should
    > the target drop the session  after it had sent the response?. I am not sure
    > how the  discovery session could be misused. It has been authenticated like
    > any other  session and has only limited set of commands. One could also
    > argue the need for  logout on a discovery session as opposed to just
    > closing the  connection.
    >
    > -Ayman

Last updated: Thu Dec 06 13:17:41 2001
8006 messages in chronological order