    Re: iSCSI - Change Proposal X bit

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > However in order to drop "old" commands that might in the pipe on a
    > sluggish connection - removing the X bit will require the initiator to
    > issue an immediate NOP requiring a NOP response on every open connection
    > whenever CmdSN wraps around (becomes equal to InitCmdSN).

    Julian,

    Can you please explain further the corner case you are describing above
    ? Are you suggesting that special action should be taken every time
    CmdSN wraps around, in case there were holes in the CmdSN sequence at
    the wrap time ? Why is that ?

    Here's my understanding of how this plays out :

    Rule 1)
    The CmdSN management rules at the target should be handling CmdSN wrap
    case and the initiator cannot issue more than 2^32 -1 commands beyond
    the last ExpCmdSN update it has received from the target, since the
    target MUST NOT transmit a MaxCmdSN that is more than 2**31 - 1 above
    the last ExpCmdSN. (per Section 2.2.2.1)

    Rule 2)
    Any holes that occur in the CmdSN sequence are attempted to be plugged
    by the initiator by re-issuing the original command. If the CmdSN never
    got acknowledged and the I/O's ULP timeout expired, the initiator MUST
    perform session recovery. (per Section 8.6)

    Thus, going by the above 2 rules, if the CmdSN sequence wraps upto
    ExpCmdSN, the initiator will not be able to issue further commands,
    since the target will keep the CmdSN window closed. The window can only
    re-open when the CmdSN holes are plugged allowing ExpCmdSN and thereby,
    MaxCmdSN to advance.  (rule 1 above).

    Under the above circumstances, the initiator will possibly try to plug
    the CmdSN hole by re-issuing the original command. It may do this 1 or
    more times before its ULP timeout expires. Either the holes get plugged
    and the windoe re-opens, or ULP timeout occurs without the corresponding
    CmdSN for that I/O having been acknowledged, resulting in session
    logout. (rule 2 above).

    What is required over and beyond the above ? Why does removal of X-bit
    require an immediate NOP to be issued every time CmdSN wraps and a hole
    exists in the CmdSN sequence (??).

    Regards,
    Santosh

    --