    iSCSI - Change Proposal X bit

    Dear colleagues,

    A while ago Santosh Rao suggested on this list to remove the X bit as the
    reassignment function is now handled by a Task Management and "delayed"
    PDUs can be caught be the command window check.

    The clear advantage of this change is that the target does not have to
    check for the X bit and may drop the command if it is out of the window or
    exists already.

    However in order to drop "old" commands that might in the pipe on a
    sluggish connection - removing the X bit will require the initiator to
    issue an immediate NOP requiring a NOP response on every open connection
    whenever CmdSN wraps around (becomes equal to InitCmdSN).

    We may want the new BHS to look like

    Byte /    0       |       1       |       2       |       3       |
       /              |               |               |               |
      |7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0|7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0|7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0|7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0|
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
     0|I| Opcode      | Opcode-specific fields                        |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
     4|TotalAHSLength | DataSegmentLength                             |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
     8| LUN or Opcode-specific fields                                 |
      +                                                               +
    12|                                                               |
      +---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------+
    16| Initiator Task Tag or Opcode-specific fields                  |
    20/ Opcode-specific fields                                        /
    48

    and move the direction bit in the opcode 1 bit up

    Alternatively we may make the X bit reserved.

    Comments?

Last updated: Tue Oct 23 17:17:33 2001
7348 messages in chronological order