    Re: iSCSI: revised error recovery hierarchy

    Santosh,

    > pdu and a count within the driver of the number of data pdu's received on
    > The above recovery scheme is not documented in Section 7.4 as a means of
    > recovering from data digest errors on iscsi data pdu's.

    I suggest the following opening comments in section 7 for your
    consideration.

            Many of the recovery details in an iSCSI implementation are a
    local
            matter, beyond the scope of protocol standardization.  However,
    some
            external aspects of the processing must be standardized, to
    ensure
            interoperability.  This section (and the corresponding appendix
    in
            more detail) describes a general model for recovery, in support
    of
            interoperability.

    What you describe is certainly an implementation choice, complying with
    protocol expectations.  But as it does not affect the wire protocol(that
    this chapter strives to capture), it isn't stated as a *protocol*
    choice.
    That is generally the rule of thumb that ERT and myself followed for
    editing this chapter.  Hope that explains the rationale.

    >....a session logout is usable to
    > recover from digest errors on status pdu's.....

    True, as with any error!  Section 7.11 and 7.11.4 clearly call this
    out.  That's why session logout/recovery is not listed as an option
    in every place.

    I will however go ahead and add that a "close the connection" flavor
    of Logout is a legal protocol-allowed option for lost status PDUs (in
    addition to the recovery Logout that you pointed out).

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka