    RE: FCIP: Intent of standard in 6.6.2.2

    See comment embedded below...

    Bob,

    I think Barry's point is that as worded currently,
    verification __of synchronization__ SHALL fail if test
    (c) fails - i.e. length tests must pass and at least
    6 other tests must pass. The problem is that only
    some tests imply synch loss and the other tests
    simply indicate a bad frame, and so this is ambiguous.
    I will try to come up with a different wording that
    matches the intent you described (which is intuitive).

    - Sudhir

    > The other fields that are tested give you confidence that everything
    > is still working right and reduce the probability of falsely
    > indicating that a bad frame is good to infinitesimal values.
    > Numbers for passing a bad frame for good once every million years
    > on a worst case link are considered infinitesimal.  The selection
    > of which of these tests to use depends on the implementation and
    > architecture of the supporting firmware and hardware.  Some tests
    > may be impossible on some types of hardware.  While some
    > of these tests may mean that the frame needs to be discarded,
    > you SHOULD consider in a vendor specific manner (that does not
    > change interoperability) whether or not synchronization actually
    > failed. As an example, if the length is valid but the EOF and
    > CRC of the frame fail, and the header of the next frame fails some
    > of its tests, it is likely that you have lost synchronization.
    > However, if the length is valid, the EOF and CRC are valid, but
    > the SOF is invalid, you need to discard the frame because you
    > cannot define its class of service, but you have probably not
    > lost synchronization.
    >
    > It really doesn't matter too much which set of tests you use,
    > since they have the same effect.  Bad frames will disappear
    > from the link and be retried by ULP mechanisms.  Loss of
    > synchronization will be recovered after several frame losses or
    > cause the connection to close, depending on how lucky you are
    > and how lazy your implementation is.
    >
    > Would you suggest any wording changes to reflect that
    > meaning?
    >
    > Bob

Last updated: Mon Sep 10 11:17:09 2001
6486 messages in chronological order