    RE: FCIP: Intent of standard in 6.6.2.2

    Barry,

    The text is, I believe, clear in specifying the authors' intent.

    The text says:

      Verification SHALL be accomplished by performing the following tests:

      a) Length field validation -- 63 < (Length * 4) < 2177 (f above);
      b) Comparison of Length field to its ones complement (f above); and
      c) At least 6 other of the 22 distinct tests listed above.

      Errors in FCIP Frame headers SHOULD be considered carefully, since
      some may be synchronization errors. For example, any failure of the
      Length field tests described above SHALL be handled as a
      synchronization error. Errors in FCIP Frames detected by the FCIP_DE
      that affect synchronization with the Encapsulated Frame Receiver
      Portal byte stream SHALL be handled as defined by section 6.6.2.3.

    It is clear from this that, if the length field goes bad, you
    absolutely cannot determine where the next frame is and synchronization
    is lost.  6.6.2.3 tells you the requirements for recovering
    synchronization or closing the TCP connection.  Annex A gives
    you one example of a recovery algorithm meeting those requirements.
    Others are possible.

    The other fields that are tested give you confidence that everything
    is still working right and reduce the probability of falsely
    indicating that a bad frame is good to infinitesimal values.
    Numbers for passing a bad frame for good once every million years
    on a worst case link are considered infinitesimal.  The selection
    of which of these tests to use depends on the implementation and
    architecture of the supporting firmware and hardware.  Some tests
    may be impossible on some types of hardware.  While some
    of these tests may mean that the frame needs to be discarded,
    you SHOULD consider in a vendor specific manner (that does not
    change interoperability) whether or not synchronization actually
    failed. As an example, if the length is valid but the EOF and
    CRC of the frame fail, and the header of the next frame fails some
    of its tests, it is likely that you have lost synchronization.
    However, if the length is valid, the EOF and CRC are valid, but
    the SOF is invalid, you need to discard the frame because you
    cannot define its class of service, but you have probably not
    lost synchronization.

    It really doesn't matter too much which set of tests you use,
    since they have the same effect.  Bad frames will disappear
    from the link and be retried by ULP mechanisms.  Loss of
    synchronization will be recovered after several frame losses or
    cause the connection to close, depending on how lucky you are
    and how lazy your implementation is.

    Would you suggest any wording changes to reflect that
    meaning?

    Bob

Last updated: Mon Sep 10 10:17:17 2001
6484 messages in chronological order