    RE: iSCSI: Wrapping up SendTargets

    My .02:

    We either have a common tool for discovery and SAN management or we have
    (perhaps) a common discovery tool plus an assortment of ad-hoc 'value-added'
    solutions to fill the gaps.  In my opinion, such an outcome would make it
    impossible to integrate heterogeneous storage products into the enterprise
    environment.

    With that concern in mind, the iSNS authors decided that a single SAN
    management and discovery protocol was essential. As with iSCSI, we believed
    the right place to start was with a model that was widely deployed and
    supported by existing storage management products.

    As to alternate approaches, I believe it will always be possible to point to
    this or that tool or protocol that does or can be extended to do some piece
    of iSNS functionality.  What's been missing, however, is a comprehensive,
    well-articulated model into which all of these fit and a willingness to
    deploy the implementations so we can all do a test drive.

    If anyone has an alternative model and implementation, I would encourage
    them to put both forward for consideration.

    Charles