    RE: iSCSI: Wrapping up SendTargets

    David,

    > > Before you or anyone calls consensus, I would like to see
    > > how SLP can solve the following issues:
    >
    > Some of this was covered in:
    >
    > http://ips.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/mail/msg04812.html
    >
    > So, some short answers here ...
    >
    > > 1)  Management of Discovery Domains.  You don't want
    > > incompatible file systems discovering each other, or
    > > very bad things will happen.  Say 'goodbye' to the Unix
    > > file system who's host is discovered by SLP....
    >
    > Management at the DHCP server of which SLP
    > scope(s) each system gets configured with.

    This is still manual configuration of SLP scopes.  In the
    DHCP server, you would configure lists of MAC addresses
    of DHCP clients with the DHCP option (containing the SLP
    scope) to be assigned to that client.

    So let's run through a summary of this process:

    1)  Create list of iSCSI devices (identified by iSCSI name)
    you want to include in a particular scope.

    2)  Figure out the 6-byte MAC address for each of those devices.

    3)  Enter each MAC address into a list in the DHCP configuration
    file, along with a name for that scope to be sent as an option.

    4)  Do the same thing for every other scope.

    5)  Pray that you don't accidentally place the a MAC address
    into the wrong list (e.g., your NT initiator into the list
    containing your Unix file system hosts).

    > > 2)  Transfer of X.509 digital certificates.  SLP cannot
    > > easily transfer binary entities.  This affects the iSCSI
    > > target device's ability to enforce its access control list.
    >
    > I'm not sure that having yet another protocol
    > and server involved in security administration
    > is a "feature", let alone a "requirement".

    As I mentioned in my message to Jim, the ability to configure
    discovery domains and set up the security policies in a single
    step, using one tool, would be useful IMO.  The alternative
    is to configure your DHCP server (see above).  Then independently
    configure your SRP for iSCSI.

    Josh