    RE: iSCSI: Send Targets and Report Portal Groups

    > Reasons for not having it (others can add to this list):
    > 1) Do not want discovery mechanism as part of the protocol.
    > 2) It will continue to evolve and is not as simple as it seems.
    > 3) IETF standards approving body will have a problem with it,
    > and this will
    > delay the approval of the whole standard.
    > 4) Can use SLP or iSNS to get the same functionality, and we
    > can piggyback
    > on the future enhancements to these discovery protocols.

    5)There is also the viewpoint that a transport protocol should contain only
    what's necessary for establishing a transport link and keeping that link
    functioning.  (eg, TCP connection establishment, SYN exchange) Any other
    configuration data exchange is a management function that should use a
    generic data exchange/mgmt protocol (SLP? DHCP? SNMP? XML?).  Or iSNS.
    Given this purist viewpoint, there is a clear difference between the other
    text commands in iSCSI and the SendTargets or ReportPortalGroups text
    commands.

    IMO, it's a judgement call where you draw the line between architectural
    purity and practical functional encapsulation.  My current feeling is that a
    limited SendTargets function adds a small amount of implementation burden
    and a large amount of functional value to product solutions.  Given the
    nature and deployment of storage devices, the reporting of minimal 'iSCSI
    connectivity information' in the iSCSI protocol enables a powerful
    capability for 'plug-n-play' at a minimal cost.  The fact that SLP and iSCSI
    have different authentication models and points of control is a large factor
    in support of SendTargets - authentication management is a huge burden for
    customers.  (Of course that fact could start a whole nother thread cause
    this is a common problem between various IP-based protocols).

    ReportPortalGroups feels like feature-creep to me given that it's a subset
    of SendTargets.

    I agree with Mallikarjun, moving SendTargets to an 'annex' doesn't seem
    appropriate when viewed thru his logic, and we should strip out fluff like
    "TargetAlias", which is clearly 'value-add' more appropriate to a MIB or
    some other management interface.

    Marjorie Krueger
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Networked Storage Solutions Org.