    iSCSI and secure boot

    > Security is actively being worked on the the DHCP community so that
    > is something that iSCSI can leverage.
    > (draft-ietf-dhc-authentication-16.txt)

    Unfortunately, it's not clear to me that
    draft-ietf-dhc-authentication-16.txt is viable for use in securing the
    boot process without some additional work. As written, the draft assumes
    that the adapter has been seeded with a DHCP authentication key
    tied to the DHCP client identifier (e.g. htype/MAC address), computed
    from the master key. As I understand it, PXE/BIS also assumes the ability
    to store a public key validating the boot image. Neither spec really
    provides much insight on how one might obtain proper keying/authentication
    material to secure the iSCSI boot process.

    While it might be reasonable to assume that a manufacturer could supply a
    set of machines programmed with the correct public key to validate the
    boot image, it seems somewhat of a stretch that the adapters could be
    programmed on a large scale according to the technique described in
    -16.

    Also, in both cases, it would appear that revocation/key change is a huge
    headache. Note that the master secret described in -16 is not be provided
    to the individual stations; this is held in confidence by the DHCP server.

    The upshot is that I would not necessarily assume that we in the
    IETF really have a good handle on secure boot at this point.