    Re: TCP Framing

    David,

    Please answer this question:  Can the iSCSI spec *mandate* the use of this new
    TSVWG framing RFC in all iSCSI implementations (especially the ones that will
    be complete before this new RFC is even published)?

    If the answer is "no" then....

    As I expressed in my earlier posting, the goal and purpose of framing is to:

    1- eliminate the huge amounts of buffering (high speed, expensive, eats up
    board space, more expensive than fibre channel) that will be required by 10Gig
    implementations, and
    2- provide a common feature set so that any (10Gig) implementation will be
    able to interoperate with any other iSCSI implementation, be it 1Gig, 10Gig,
    HW or SW implementations.

    The only way to do this is to *mandate* implementation of some kind of framing
    mechanism *IN THE iSCSI SPEC*.

    Implementing framing by a TSVWG RFC is great, *if* the iSCSI spec could
    *mandate* the implementation of this new RFC.  However, I don't think that
    iSCSI will be able to mandate anything about the TCP stack (or its "shim"
    layers) [for example, you can't "mandate" that a SW implementation of iSCSI on
    Windows NT4 use the new RFC, because it is simply not available].  The *only*
    thing that iSCSI can mandate is what is sent over the [generic, unmodified,
    unshimmed] TCP connection that iSCSI uses.

    In other words, if iSCSI can not mandate modified versions of TCP or
    shim/framing/whatever layers,  then in order for a 10Gig implementation to
    interoperate with all other iSCSI implementations, it will be required to
    implement buffering, which is what we want to avoid in the first place.

    The proposal is to *mandate* the *availability* of markers in the iSCSI spec.
    If two communicating nodes do not require framing, then they don't have to use
    markers.  If and when TSVWG comes up with a better framing mechanism, then
    markers don't have to be invoked.  However, if a node requires markers to
    operate optimally, the other node "MUST" be required to supply them.

    -Matt Wakeley
    Agilent Technologies