    Re: iSCSI : Initiators expected to fake CHECK CONDITIONS.

    > It would be simple if things where that clear-cut.

    It is that simple.  It is clear-cut.

    > What is a format error coming from a target?  IMHO it is a target
    > error and not a protocol failure.  Should target errors be reported
    > in the service-response?

    TARGET ERROR clearly IS one of the service response codes defined by
    SAM.  Therefore, yep, go ahead and define iSCSI errors in terms of
    TARGET FAILURE and SERVICE DELIVERY FAILURE.

    SCSI implementations define their own set of service response status
    values and whatever iSCSI specifies, a protocol driver will make its
    own mapping of protocol conditions to service response status values.
    For that reason, the exact specification of TF or SDF is less relevant
    than that you identify the condition as a service response reported
    failure.

    > Except for task management that is common to all protocols I did not
    > see any other thing popping up in any SCSI driver.

    ???  Are you saying that you don't see where the service response
    status code is concretely instantiated in ANY SCSI driver?

    Take CAM.  The CAM status is the service response status code.  It includes
    values like:
      request completed without error
      request aborted by host
      invalid request
      target selection timeout
      command timeout
      data overrun
      unexpected bus free

    etc..

    Solaris and IRIX are similar (don't have the code on hand).  I can't
    imagine that ANY other SCSI driver does not have this component, but I
    clearly have not seen all other SCSI drivers.

    Did you mean SCSI protocol rather than SCSI driver?  FCP certainly
    mentions service response.

    > Preaching layering won't make the issue disappear.

    Perhaps we could hear a resounding chorus of other participants that
    think I'm just `preaching layering' to try to make some issue
    disappear.  If so, I'll agree to say no more on this topic.

    Presently, it seems to be two (Santosh and me) against one (you).

    It's clear how to specify and how implementations will handle, and
    have historically handled these types of errors.  Where's the
    conflict?  What's hard about this?

    Steph