    Re: iSCSI : Initiators expected to fake CHECK CONDITIONS.

    Julian,

    I've enclosed below the mapping of service response status from the LLP to
    the ULP for HP-UX, Solaris, SVR4 (MP-RAS) and NT.
    As you can see, all O.S SCSI stacks should have some form of
    a service response status from their LLP
    (HBA drivers, mini-port drivers, LLDs, interface drivers)
    to their ULP (target drivers, class drivers, HLDs, device drivers).

    In SAM-2 (Section 4.13)  terminology :

    A SCSI Protocol (Parallel SCSI, SCSI-FCP, iSCSI, etc) MUST NOT
    specify the service response in the "Protocol Service Confirmation" as
    this is common for all SCSI LLPs with their ULPs for each O.S. scsi stack.
    (see the list below).

    SCSI Protocols MUST specify the service response in the protocol specific
    PDU Responses that are exchanged between target and initiator,
    as this is to be defined for target-initiator communication
    for each SCSI protocol.
    Ex : Response Info in FCP_RSP PDU of Fibre Channel as defined in
    SCSI-FCP-2.

    Given the above, I would like to propose :

    o	Removal of the 3rd paragraph of Section 5.4 of the 03 rev of the
    	iSCSI draft which states :
    	"When a session is active whenever an initiator receives an iSCSI
    	PDU with a format error......."

    o	Re-introduction and specification of Response Data in the SCSI
    	Response PDU along the lines of the Response Info defined for
    	FCP_RSP in FCP-2. Even a single Response byte along the lines of
    	the current Respnse field in SCSI Task Management Response PDU
    	should be sufficient.

    o	Specification of a more detailed Response field in the SCSI Task
    	Management Response PDU that should include the following :
    	1) "No such LUN"
    	   (Abort Task Set, CLear Task Set or LUN Reset is
    	    attempted on an invalid LUN.)
    	2) "Logical Busy"
    	   (A 2nd Task Management Command is attempted while a prior
    	   conflicting task is in progress. Ex : attempting a LUN Reset
    	   while a Target Reset is in progress, etc.)
    	3) "Function Not Supported"
    	   (To indicate no support for certain task management commands
    	   like Target Reset.)

    Thanks & Regards,
    Santosh

    O.S.		Service Response	Service Delivery or
    					Target Failure
    HP-UX		scb->cdb_status 	SCTL_INCOMPLETE,
    					SCTL_SELECT_TIMEOUT.

    Solaris		scsi_pkt->pkt_reason	CMD_INCOMPLETE,
    					CMD_TRAN_ERROR,
    					CMD_ABORTED,
    					CMD_TIMEOUT

    		scsi_pkt->pkt_statistics STAT_ABORTED
    					STAT_TIMEOUT

    SVR4 MP-RAS	Scsi_Op->OP_Status	(Had something similar.
    					 Can't recollect off
    					 the top of my head.)

    NT		srb->SrbStatus		SRB_STATUS_ABORTED,
    					SRB_STATUS_ERROR,