    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Rob,

    Thanks for your good insights.  Regarding the following

    <much deleted>
    > To your point that 'can iFCP co-exist with FCIP', there
    > is no technical reason (or even non-technical) why it
    > cannot.  After all, we have had BGP and OSPF co-existing
    > for approaching a decade now.  Also, there is no doubt
    > that iFCP is a gateway-oriented proposal, just as there is
    > no doubt that well-written FCP (or FCP-2) device stacks are
    > very reliable.  Having said that, I believe that there probably
    > will be more initial implementations of FCIP than iFCP, but
    > that is surely not - among reasonable IETF people - a reason
    > to quash discussion.

    I believe the comparison between FCIP and iFCP is more like that
    of RIP and OSPF, not BGP and OSPF.  BGP and OSPF coexist because
    they perform completely different roles.  BGP is used to route
    between autonomous systems, and OSPF is used for intra-autonomous
    system routing.  The Internet could not possibly exist today
    without one or the other.

    RIP provides a subset OSPF's capabilities, just as Murali pointed
    out that FCIP provides a subset of iFCP's capabilities.  Could you
    do both in the same network?  Of course you can, but the chances
    are if you're using OSPF, you would not need RIP.  Does that
    mean RIP is not viable?  Of course not!  RIP exists because it
    is simple and can be used to achieve limited objectives.

    Josh