    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Y.P.,

    Hardware and software implementations will benefit from a direct use of FCP
    rather than those structures undergoing change to better support new
    environments which lead to FCIP and iFCP.  An IP network will not permit a
    direct boot in the same manner as SCSI as there are no physically captured
    devices.  A normal DHCP-MTFTP to obtain boot sectors will likely prevail in
    these environments as alternatives remain unstable.  Emulating an existing
    system interface will benefit from a transport that adopts the same
    underlying structures and behavior.  The strength of the argument may be
    found in simplicity with resulting conformity and stability.  A stable
    scheme may be years away otherwise and stability represents strength.

    Doug