    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    While in concept FCIP and iFCP both provide gateway functionality I do not
    believe they can be merged into one specification.  Both however do provide
    useful functions and should be supported as work group items for IPS, I
    understand FCIP is already a work item today.

    As mentioned in previous emails FCIP connects E_Ports, which supports
    exisiting switch SAN technology.  As such, all of the traffic is sent across
    one connection without regard to priority with many FC ports funneled
    through single E_Ports.  The benefit to this is connecting existing SAN
    technology with all of the control provided by the FC domain.   iFCP
    provides the ability to map the FC port connections to the IP domain and
    allow for distinguishing FC connections.  With this the FC traffic can be
    prioritized according to the connection, traffic, application, etc...  This
    perspective for a gateway allows for building SANs while utilizing network
    traffic management tools.

    As neither covers all cases for connecting Fibre Channel domains both should
    be pursued.

    Thanks

    jack

    jack harwood