    Merge FCIP and iFCP?

    In a further attempt to get efforts refocused on the
    important work before us ...

    I believe that it is the rough consensus of the WG that
    IF work on iFCP is undertaken, THEN the iFCP and FCIP
    protocols (and their protocol specifications) should not
    be merged.

    Anyone who disagrees should send me email directly rather
    than posting to the list.  Also, please note the "IF" in
    the above consensus call.

    OTOH, the issue of whether a common encapsulation is
    to be used is open.  Note that a common encapsulation
    could consist almost entirely of using the reserved
    bits in the FCIP header as an (IANA-allocated) protocol
    number field and agreeing to use common encodings of
    the SOF and EOF frame delimiters.

    With my WG co-chair hat off, I have a technical comment
    to add.  One of the arguments made against a common
    encapsulation has been to observe the wide variety of
    IP in IP tunnels that exist in IETF specs.  In 20/20
    hindsight, and based on having worked on aspects of
    tunneling protocols (e.g., RFC 2983) my opinion is
    that this is more of an argument in favor of a common
    encapsulation because there are too many sorts of
    IP in IP tunnels (i.e., if things could be done over
    again from a blank slate, there would be fewer).

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500