    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Regarding the statement of JP Raghavendra Rao:

    It would be nice if somebody comes up with a stronger case for connecting an
    iSCSI host to a FC device - Is this attempted for the survival of FC or for
    a speedier deployment of iSCSI ?

    I offer the following technical consideration.  Consider extremely large
    storage arrays.  I think storage arrays tend to be FC devices.  Moreover,
    in some cases there are limitations on the number of SCSI devices that
    can be accomodated on a single host, which would prevent software RAID
    with SCSI from scaling to the same degree as FC in these cases.

    There are other devices as well that are FC-based in order to integrate
    within the FC-SAN that in some cases includes these extremely large storage
    arrays.

    In each of these cases, connectivity to these devices is essential.
    What SAN devices do you envision ISCSI connecting to?  In what timeframe
    do you think the FC SAN market will disappear?

    It seems that this issue is separate from the iFCP/iSCSI debate,
    because an appropriate iSCSI bridge could accomodate these
    SCSI-over-FC devices.

    Regards,

    Stephen Elliott