    Re: Framing Discussion

    > At 10:18 AM 12/22/2000 -0800, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
    >
    > >It is a waste, if there is a better solution to tackle the same thing.
    > >If this can make things simpler, we should consider this as an option.
    > >But how does the sender insert this header ? Typically the target
    > >side would just dump all the data to TCP - which contains a iscsi
    > >header followed by data. TCP then would segment the data depending
    > >on the MSS. How do you insert such an header for each MSS sized
    > >data ?
    >
    > This is a simple gather operation.  Most OS understand how to gather
    > different segments into a single byte stream and also account for
    > additional headers.  Nothing special here.

    Sure it is possible but generally not the optimized path in the stack.
    But there are other problems with this proposal i guess. As TCP
    is stream oriented it need not obey boundaries of the various
    segments. The effect is you won't see a iscsi header on every
    datagram.

    > > > At the first BOF, I spoke about aligning the protocol with InfiniBand
    > > since
    > > > that will eventually become the server point of attach in the coming
    > > > years.  The suggestion was made to include the same RDMA semantics (if
    > > they
    > > > are supported) as InfiniBand.  It was further suggested there an in other
    > > > e-mail that a simple 8-byte header with a 4-byte CRC be associated with
    > > > each segment and that these fields be contained within the data payload so
    > > > that TCP is not impacted.  The contents of this header would contain a
    > > > 8-bit op-code, VA, length, etc. allowing the responder to target the
    > > memory
    > >
    > >If VA is the virtual address, then this has security problems. How do
    > >you prevent arbitrary packets over-writing memory ? Actually all
    > >you need is a tag to identify the buffer pool, offset within a
    > >stream, and some smarts in the h/w to associate the tag to a
    > >buffer pool. Is this not sufficient ?
    >
    > A VA is an address but what that address is a local issue and is only used
    > as a key to find the real address.  As such, I don't see any security issue
    > beyond that associated with any datea exchange on a network and the
    > techniques even used today within FC products can be applied so the
    > technology impacts are actually well understood and can be implemented by
    > multiple vendors.

    Normal packets - i.e not using RDMA, can't write anywhere. But i can see
    how that can be done with RDMA i.e restict the region accessed by
    the NIC for a given RDMA transaction.  Does the FC products do this ?

    > > > on the host / controller if all fields were valid.  If there was an
    > > > out-of-order delivery, the data could be spilled to temporary memory
    > > either
    > > > in the host or the adapter and upon recovery, delivered to the correct
    > > > target buffer without requiring host processor intervention with a little
    > > > creativity.  This 12-bytes of overhead for SCSI operations would have
    > > > minimal impact on link utilization and overall solution efficiency.  I
    > > > believe these same concepts have been stated in the various RDMA proposals
    > > > that have been distributed and given the eventual movement to InfiniBand
    > > > for servers and the new SRP (SCSI RDMA Protocol), one might want to create
    > > > an iSCSI solution that can easily bridge into these other technologies.
    > > >
    > > > Note: The arguments about adapter complexity, impact to OS, etc. are
    > > rather
    > > > moot in many ways.  The work will be done to support InfiniBand over the
    > > > next couple of years and thus the cost to implement / support is going to
    > > > be fairly minimal.  It should also be noted that many of these changes
    > > have
    > > > already be done using PCI / PCI-X based solutions that support VIA,
    > > > Scheduled Transfer, Oracle, MPI, Sockets Direct, etc. so the ability to
    > > > deploy solutions in the highly desirable I/O interconnect independent way
    > > > is available today as well.  One does need to wait or rely upon InfiniBand
    > > > to make all of this happen.  It should also be noted that many companies
    > > > will be working to have Linux support for this type of technology in the
    > > > upcoming year so solutions should be available to all by the time iSCSI
    > > > ramps to volume in 2002.
    > > >
    > >I am not sure which proposal you are talking about. Infiniband working
    > >group is looking at the proposal from microsoft for RDMA. I think it
    > >is more specific to Infiniband.
    >
    > I believe you are referring to the InfiniBand application workgroup which
    > has been looking at how to bootstrap InfiniBand via SRP (SCSI RDMA
    > Protocol) which is one possible mechanism to support storage over an
    > InfiniBand fabric - there are several mechanisms being defined for

    This is Winsock direct proposal. It came to the IBTA working group
    i think. I have the document with me. This proposes to bypass the
    normal tcp/ip stack and use RDMA to achieve high throughput.

    -mohan