    RE: SNIA-SNIFS: Re: SNIA-SNIFS: Clarification on SNIF marketing b oundaries

    Tom,

    You are overpowering me if by nothing else then by sheer volume.

    The reason I said something on this list is because I think that marketing
    is important.
    It is important to get a simple and clear and accurate message to your
    potential customers.

    And with my technical persons naivete I still think that you can't market
    everything

    By SoiP I meant the protocol forwarded by Adaptec.

    By audience I meant a specific area and I did not attach to it any
    attribute (nor a class).

    And FC tunels and gateways are transitional - there won't be a world of 2
    or 3 infrastructures.

    As for the large installed base of FC - it is non-negligeable - but if you
    care to bring up the numbers you will find out that (as a percentage of
    storage subsystems sold) it is rater tiny.
    In fact FC is the  main inhibitor to the widespread acceptance of SANs
    (price, complexity, incompatibilities).  That does not come to say that
    there is no market need for iFCP - only that it fullfils a specific need
    and if you don't have that need you better look elswhere.

    As for speculating about tomorrow - I am not.   My only claim was that
    iSCSI (in its current or future form) is about native IP connectivity.  And
    it will evolve (you will have iSCSI-0 and iSCSI-n).

    And a broad statement that places all IP storage solutions under the same
    umbrela will harm most of the companies that form the consortium and will
    force their own marketing team to work overtime to contain the damage.

    Julo

    Tom Clark <tclark@NishanSystems.com> on 22/12/2000 23:09:17

    Please respond to Tom Clark <tclark@NishanSystems.com>